One thing that is for sure about these times is that new technologies are always coming out. That can bring new problems that were as of yet unknown. One problem is button batteries. They have been used in a number of items including cell phones and toys. It has become a safety issue.
Doctors are noticing an increased amount of cases where children have swallowed the batteries. The batteries can lodge in the throat and leach out a caustic acid that can kill. As the batteries are used in more and more products, the problem is getting bigger. Anyone that suspects that someone has swallowed a battery should report to the hospital mat once!